The Internship Program
At Del Lago Academy, all scholars have the unique opportunity to engage in a 6 week internship in the spring of their 11th grade year and extend this work into their 12th grade year. This internship program allows for students to give context and a real-world understanding to their learning. Alongside a mentor, our scholars realize the skills and work ethic necessary for the adult working community.
Internships and Badges Co-created with Mentors
Scholars use digital badges to earn internships and do more intentional skill development work within the internship. Also, scholars co-create a digital badge with their internship mentor to represent the goals they have for their project.
Building a Co-created badge: Defining Competencies
The internship mentor and scholar co-create a digital badge together to represent the skills and knowledge required for success on their internship project. This allows the scholar and the internship mentor to have deep conversations around how to assess what is needed for success in that specific industry.
With their mentor, the scholar defines the competencies and the evidence required to demonstrate success. If needed, scholars create an industry validated rubric to assess the evidence.
Sample Scholar Internship Badges
Below are some snapshots of the types of badges being co-created by scholars and their internship mentor. We are working on a process to release all of these co-created badges by field.
OER Resources for Co-Created Badges
- Scholar Internship Badge Planning Tool
- This tool is used by scholars to plan out the digital badge they will co-create with their mentor.
- Infographic for creating badges
- Infographic on how to co-create a digital badge for your internship
- Digital Badge Validation Form
- This form allows mentors to validate skills, knowledge, and dispositions within specific work contexts. The form is used by the badge earner as evidence of the competencies described by a badge.
- Digital Badge Validation Form Generator
- This is Google Form version of the digital bade validation form. It can be copied and edited to generate validation forms.